The Purpose and Philosophy of Athletics at OCS
The purpose and philosophy is to use athletics and activities as a means to fulfill the OCS Mission. To this end our athletic program will strive to develop the whole person. Competition and cooperation are excellent ways to teach Christian character, for the athletes, supporters, and adults.
Competition provides an arena to react under pressure. The Christian walk is not just about acting, but about how we react to the adversity of life.
The spiritual goal for the athlete is to conduct himself or herself in such a way that his words and actions emulate those of Jesus Christ. All that is done, emotionally, physically, and mentally, is to be done for the glory of God.
The spiritual goal of the parents and fans is to not let any word or action betray the love of Christ. Competition provides an excellent opportunity to demonstrate principles of the Kingdom. First, that God is sovereign and His children trust Him with the circumstances of life. Secondly, that godliness and love for others will embrace the spirit of competitiveness at OCS.
Biblical Guidelines for Sportsmanship
1. Applaud and respect the efforts of the opposing teams. Remember, their parents are here and proud of their kids too.
"...do not merely look out for your own personal interest, but also for the interest of others." Philippians 2:4
2. Be aware of anger and hateful emotions that surface in the "heat of the battle" -- emotions that are selfish and do not honor God.
"But I say, walk by the Spirit and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh." Galatians 6:16
3. Do not insult the officials (you do not have to agree with every call, but you should never lower yourself to degrading remarks).
"Let no unwholesome word proceed out of your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment that it may give grace to those who hear." Eph. 4:29
Win with humility,
lose with grace
4. Seek to demonstrate the reality of Jesus Christ in your life by your positive spirit. Remember, much of what happens tonight won't matter in eternity, much less in one week.
"For you have been bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body." I Corinthians 6:20
5. Let your team know that you support them; win or lose, we stand behind our kids.
"...encourage one another, and build up one another..." I Thess. 5:11